How to Achieve U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage ?

How to Achieve U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage ?

Achieving United States Citizenship through marriage can take some years, but the steps are understandably  laid out by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The process by which a non-citizen becomes the citizen of a country is known as Naturalization.

One way to get citizenship in United States is to marry a U.S. citizen. However it is not as easy as filling out a couple of forms.

It is not a fast process, and the outcome is not guaranteed, and there are lots of requirements to fulfill along the way.

You can attain citizenship in the U.S.with a lot of attention to detail and a little patience.

Basic steps to obtaining U.S. Citizenship through Marriage

The basic steps to obtaining U.S. citizenship through marriage generally include the following steps

  1. Becoming a permanent resident (Green Card Holder).
  2. Applying for citizenship.

Establish Permanent Residency

The first step to acquiring U.S. citizenship by marriage is through establishing  permanent residency.

The permanent resident card provides proof that you are a permanent resident of the United States and is granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

It is also known as Form I-551 or a “green card”,

Immigration Through Marriage to a U.S. citizen.

If you are married to a U.S. citizen, to enter the U.S. legally, your spouse should complete Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and all required documentation and filing fee to obtain the proper visa permission to immigrate to the U.S.

Green Card Through Marriage

After you reach, you should file Form I-485, application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status and pay the filing fee to adjust your status to that of a permanent resident in the United States. You should file both forms simultaneously. if you are already in the U.S. legally.

The USCIS will call to both of you  and your spouse for an interview and then

You will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis, if things go well and at the time resident status is granted,if you have been married for less than two years.

This can be removed by submitting a joint petition, Form I-751, to remove conditions on residence, within the 90-days period before the expiration date of conditional residence 

Applying for Citizenship

To apply for U.S. citizenship first of all you must be a permanent resident (green card holder)  at the minimum for three years and have been living in marital union with your U.S. citizen-spouse  during that time.

Then you need to file citizenship Form N-400,Application for Naturalization, along with requested documentation and appropriate fee to apply for citizenship.

There are some further eligibility requirements under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and National Act(INA), however they include the following :

  • Be 18 years or older
  • Have lived within the state or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of residence for at least months prior to fili6of application.
  • Reside continuously within the U.S. from the date you apply for your naturalization application until the time of naturalization.
  • Immediately preceding the filing of your application, be physically present in the U.S. for at least 18 months out of the 3 years.
  • You must be able to read, write and speak English and have knowledge also have an understanding of U.S.history and government.
  • You must be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and well disposed to the order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law.

How much time it will take your application to make it through the naturalization process is largely depends on where you are located. 

The closest USCIS Local Field Office  will contact you for an interview and final review of your application.

You can check USCIS website to get the information of processing times.

If you are approved, on the same day you will take the oath of allegiance.

Final Consideration on Getting U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage 

The final authority regarding all immigration and citizenship issues lies with the USCIS

Therefore be sure to consult the USCIS website for further information, especially the USCIS Policy Manual Citizenship and Naturalization Guidance.

Moreover, You should seek out the advice of an immigration attorney,

if you have any issues related to your immigration and citizenship situation anything less than run-of-the-mill.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous post Becoming American: Understanding legal and Illegal Immigration 
Next post Suing in California Small Claims Court : Step-by-Step Process